Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ragtime at Belmont University

Usually I wouldn't care about some college's production of Ragtime, but good God, is this good.  While it may not be very aesthetically pleasing, it sounds phenomenal.  Just watch the opening number:




Incredible! There is so much talent in this show, it almost physically ails me.  The girl who plays Sarah just blew me away with her performance of "Your Daddy's Son": 





And the act one finale is enough to make my head want to explode. It is so rare that you can find an amateur production of this show that actually has the vocal talent for all of these songs.





Now, the lighting designs are not my favorite.  A little too obtuse and in-your-face for me.  Although, there are a few that I think are extremely effective.  Check out the button at the end of "He Wanted to Say".  I really like how it looks.  





Ragtime is a musical that is based off a famous novel.  It is the story of three different families from three different classes all making their way through the turn of the century in the United States.  It's one of my favorites because the music is so pretty and powerful and it really takes a perspective look at the "American Dream".  It opened up on Broadway in 1998 with Audra MacDonald as Sarah Brown Eyes.  It closed eventually, after a successful run.  Luckily though, there is a revival in the works and will be opening up on Broadway very soon!  I couldn't be more excited about this one!  Here is the finale to the production at Belmont University.  Again, not very pleasing to the eyes, but it sounds phenomenal:  


No comments:

Post a Comment