Thursday, December 10, 2009

David and Lisa


I recently went back to my old high school to design the lights for their fall drama David and Lisa in their brand new $15 million theater. Best part of all, I got paid this time! Here are a few photos of some of my favorite designs.  I really got to play around in this show unlike I have ever been able to before.  It was really refreshing to have so much flexibility when it came to any visions I had.


Here's one of the curtain before the show started.  I love being able to use some legitimate curtain warmers!



This is the very opening of the show.  David is standing in his room which was a platform center stage, so I used two Source Fours to square off just the platform from above. Created some really interesting shadows on faces and clothes.  David was played by this really cool guy named Ryan.  This was his first role in a show at our school, and he just blew everyone away with his incredible talent!



This is when David first gets to the school.  I put a gobo to shine on the desk to look like window blinds.  I like the patterns it created on the desk and on the clothes of the people who walked in front of it. The doctor was played by Franny, and she was absolutely stellar! I miss her so much!!!



Here, David meets all of the other students at the school.  You can barely see it, but I had a giant windo gobo shining on the floor to look like sunlight or moonlight (depending on the time of day).  It looked really cool and eerie during the nighttime scenes.  One of my favorite specials.



This is when David and Lisa first met.  Delaney, the girl who played Lisa, was so outstanding I can barely find words to describe how incredible her performance was.  Even though she was playing a 16 year old girl with schizophrenia and autism and really only had two legitimate lines (all of her other lines were just silly little kid rhymes "Wobble wobble gobble wobble gobble"), she made the transitions between her two personalities so perfect, it was just outstanding.  Shivers every night because of how talented she was.  I miss working with her so much.



Another scene in the doctor's office, this time at night.  Look, it's Mrs. Yang! She's having a baby soon, and I just know she is going to name him Zack, she has to!



This scene took place in a park, and while it's not all that impressive, but I really like how this photo captured his face in that light.



Another park scene, but this is at the end of the show when Lisa is getting harassed by two thugs.  I really like he back lighting that looks like moonlight coming down on them.


So that's it for photos, there were definitely some other designs that I absolutely loved, but unfortunately they were never caught by the photographer, but I will post them when we get the DVD copy of the show.

2 comments:

  1. sweet! are you taking all these pictures with your camera?
    if so you should get the cameraflash app. it really brightens up your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, these were taken by someone's mom during actual performances. But I will def check out the app!

    ReplyDelete